Dream Chaser Program - Fulfilling the dreams of children
Helping Hands for Freedom helps fulfill the dreams of military families suffering because of loss due to war. When a parent leaves for active service, they often hug their children goodbye and tell them, "Be good while I'm gone, and when I get back, we will..." When a parent doesn't return, or they return too scarred or broken to fulfill their promise, their children often wonder what they did wrong. Sometimes young children believe it is their fault when a parent is injured or killed. Our Dream Chaser program steps in to make good on these promises and create experiences that strengthen families through creating lifelong, positive memories.
Where do we fulfill dreams?
We fulfill the dreams of Gold Star children, regardless of the state they live in. So far, we have fulfilled dreams in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Check out the map on the right to see the states where we have already fulfilled dreams.
Hear from our families:
"We had much family fun at the U of A game tonight.
- Army Family
"I just want to say "thanks" for the tickets to the Fiesta Bowl. Two of my daughters and daughter-in-law went. What a wonderful day of bonding we had. Also had a little bit of rivalry as two were rooting for Notre Dame -UGH!! A bucket list for the in-law was filled as she has always wanted to see N.D. play. A great day was enjoyed by all. A niece met us there and we now plan on meeting a couple times a year. Just the girls!"
Dear Helping Hands,
My son is a Marine stationed on the Florida/Georgia line. He was involved in a near fatal motorcycle accident while on leave Sept. 2, 2014. He has been recovering ever since at the VA in Tampa Florida and now at Walter Reed in Bethesda Maryland. Your organization has helped my son many times and we are very grateful. We will continue to try and raise money for your organization and others to help other families in time of great need.
- Marine Family
We had such an amazing day. Memorial Day is a hard day for so many. To be able to see the most genuine smiles on my kids faces Monday was priceless. So many events honor parents or spouses. The children are often not recognized for what they have sacrificed. My boys have been going through such a hard time lately and really needed this. I can't begin to thank you enough for this opportunity.
I watched your walk on Facebook. Thank you for your dedication to the soldiers and their families.
- Erin Hotchkin
Recent Dream Chasers that have been granted include:
- Tickets to an Arizona Diamondbacks game
- Throwing out the first pitch at the Cub's Memoridal Day game Read more
- Gave a home to a wounded warrior from Ft. Wayne, Indiana live on stage at the Darius Rucker concert
- An evening as a sportscaster at the Colorado Rockies baseball game
- Tickets to an Indianapolis Colts football game
- Tickets to a Taylor Swift concert
- Dribbled the basketball out on the court at the Final Four with the Admiral David Robinson
- Fulfilled a promise to a soldier's child to meet the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team
- Took a girl to meet John Stamos
- Fulfilled the bucket list for 38 soldiers to attend Notre Dame football game
- Fulfilled the promise of a family of a soldier who was killed in action to attend a University of Arizona football game